Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Dear blogiverse

Can everyone stop posting photos of the cushions they've made or the cakes they've baked or the wacky way they've d-i-yed their chairs or office space? Can we post about what we actually ACHIEVE in the outside world? Have we regressed so much that all we do is polish houses? It's driving me mad. I want to read about women (and men, men are good but they tend to not sew so many cushions) who are out in the world doing actual things.

I have one girl on my flickr stream who only talks about how fabulous a person she is. In every photo caption. It's great that she loves herself but it all just makes me want to vomit a bit. It seems all these 'achievements' that people are posting are just designed to say, "look at me, I'm so good. Blah blah blah..." I want to see proof. Childrens illustrations collaged onto a coaster isn't cutting it for me anymore. Why is everyone so scared to go outside?

4 comments:

DS said...

That's a good point but what if I don't actually achieve anything apart from going to work and coming home again then sitting all evening in an armchair working on my manuscript? Sometimes I think that if I also manage to make dinner that I am a superhero.

karen said...

I was thinking about this in bed this morning. Maybe what irks me most is that everyone is pretending that their lives are so perfect. No ones life is perfect! I like imperfect lives. Means people are human, not some sort of cake-baking, cushion-making Stepford Wife robot.

P.S. Work is an achievement. Dragging your arse onto Sydney public transport day in day out is also an achievement.

Gemnastics said...

i don't even manage that. fittingly, i do not pretend i am awesome either.

karen said...

And that's why we love you.