Friday, February 16, 2007

More notes

1.

OH MY GOD! R.Forum is hilarious right now! I haven't even read what's been written but I'm loving all the drama that's coming out of it. I hope MB returns like the Comeback Kids she despises so much. I can't believe people a) care so much about a fucking internet forum, and b) GET THE FUCK OVER YOURSELVES. No one gives a shit if you delete your account. No one gives a shit about you manually deleting your last 500 posts. Stop thinking you're so important, and, oh, I don't know, GET OFF THE FUCKING INTERNET AND GET A LIFE.

Everyone knows your boyfriend is made up anyway.


2.

Moving out is hell. Work yesterday was tiring and I feel too fucked today to do anything. I am not looking forward to the hell of tomorrow's Ikea furniture shopping. Peak hour anyone? Yes? No? I officially leave on Sunday so it looks like I'll be updating from work for a while.

5 comments:

Gemnastics said...

how do u get a job being paid stupid money to write stuff? TELL ME!!!

incidentally, first three letters of this word verification are 'wtf'.

karen said...

I work in advertising! Which on its own makes most people cringe. I don't mind it though. It's not as evil, morally devoid or as stupid as most people believe it is, and I get lots of free internet access and alcohol. Oh yes.

(I like how I can be bought over so easily - money, booze and the internet).

Gemnastics said...

yeah i know - but how did you get your job? and what do you do exactly?

karen said...

oh, oops.

I do copywriting - I write the words that go in ads, and sometimes come up with the ideas and concepts behind the ads.

I work in a below-the-line agency, which means I do direct mail, in-store stuff and the internet (banners, viral stuff and websites). Above-the-line/traditional agencies do TV, print, outdoor, and radio.

I did a degree in advertising and from there I just started applying for jobs going at agencies. You don't need a degree though - most people don't have one. You do need a background in writing, and an understanding of marketing helps too (so maybe a short course?)

When you apply for jobs you need to bring a folio of ads you've made/written (i have a mix of ones that ran and ones I came up with at home), and sometimes some extra stuff to show off your skills. Also they like agency experience so it pays to do some interning at agencies and to meet up with some creative directors.

This might be very confusing. Let me know if nothing makes sense. If you google "how to be an advertising copywriter" you get some info that could be handy. Here's a basic description.

my god this is going to be a huge comment.

Gemnastics said...

Thanks! I guess I was really wondering if you just fell into it, but it counds like you put a lot of effort into getting where you are. Sounds like a great job I reckon!