Friday, May 23, 2008

I'm going down to Melbourne next week for a few days to meet up with people who don't have jobs for me and look at stores to stock my crap. That's pretty much what this $500 trip is for.

Anyway, I'm going by myself and don't really know anyone in Melbourne. This will be the first time I have ever travelled on a plane by myself anywhere, and more importantly, the first time I will ever eat a meal in a restaurant by myself. This one is wierd. I don't know what exactly lonely diners do. Should I bring a book? Would that be rude? I will have to find myself some late night cafes that are accustomed to quiet bookish types who are more inclined to spend time with themselves than with others.

Hm.

I'm trying to think of things to do so I don't go mad. Next Wave Festival is on but the program is too much for me to comprehend right now. I am bringing my camera and extra batteries so I can spend most of my time looking busy taking photos of gutters and street lamps and things. I hate sitting in hotel rooms so this isn't an option.

However I will be settling in to watch The Gruen Transfer. Finally! A show about advertising! My favourite topic! And in a nice, braindead media format. Bliss.

2 comments:

DS said...

Melbourne is a grand city for going to alone. I made my first ever solo jaunt there last month. It is a friendly city. You should check out Collected Works it is a brilliant bookshop. Brilliant.

karen said...

I'll put it on my list!