Monday, April 28, 2008

I've already left

So now it looks like I won't be moving down to Melbourne if I can't get a job. This is not very good at all. There are only a handful of agencies left to apply at, and I've had no luck so far. I looked at other menial office jobs but they would barely cover rent, and there's no way I'm ever living on canned soup and bread again.

I hate this. In my mind I've already left Sydney, but I'm physically stuck here. I've spent the last few days hiding under double doonas, wandering around shopping centres, trying to forget about it. I have done all I physically can and now it's up to the beyond. I wonder what the hell the universe is trying to tell me, because I can't see it.

A small, expensive perk to my week is that tomorrow I'm picking up my new second-hand car. I lived on shit food for a year to buy it, and it wasn't worth it. But, minor things. I have a car. It is red, and is mine mine miiiiiiine. At least when I am stuck here with nothing left in the world to do, I can go and sit in it, living in my own private Idaho.

5 comments:

DS said...

Gary Numan to the rescue.

Here in my car I feel safest of all

in cars...

Ben said...

Red is the fastest colour of all.

Boop said...

Hi Karen
I found your blog via a link from another blog.
I moved to Melbourne with no job to go to and two friends to lightly lean on. Seven years later and I haven't regretted it for one moment. Do you have any bookkeeping experience?

Gemnastics said...

Karen, who's to say you'll get a job in Sydney? You have as much chance in Melbourne. Bring down enough stuff to get by on and if it truly doesn't work out, drive home! At least then you gave it a shot and you don't have to wonder what if...

karen said...

Dale - That is also an excellent song to dance and sing to when driving. Genius!

Jobe - more so if it has racing stripes

Boop - Good to know it's not such an impossible plan. I suck at bookeeping. I am good at commercial writing and marketing communications, which pretty much means I am good at crap all.

Gem - Oh no way in hell will I be looking for a job here. I'll just be walking into the same life I decided I hate. I guess I'm just holding out for a Melbourne job in the hope that there will be some structure for me to hang my non-existant new life on. I am really scared of not being able to pay rent. Irrational but anxiety-inducing.