Wednesday, December 20, 2006

too much restraint, too little restraint

OKAY SO MY SPENDING BAN LASTED A DAY.

I went to Kinokinuya and compulsively bought a copy of Voiceworks magazine and some cheap tiny book on I Ching, which is this crazy Chinese method of fortune telling where you throw coins into the air. NUTS I TELL YOU.

But I don't feel that guilty (about spending money, not the I Ching book.) It's on crap that will nourish my brain, and was feeling quite rational at the time of purchase. So hooray for showing restraint. I think.

Work is still crazy. Went a bit nuts today when a client suggested I should learn how to use a spell checker because of how 'passerby/passer-by/passer by' is spelt.
  1. Passerby was suggested originally, but turned down because it might be seen as a 'not real word'.
  2. 'Passer by' is NOT a word, so I put it down as passer-by. Everyone happy.
  3. Check dictionary on computer. Both passerby and passer-by as real words.
  4. Sent to client, who then says that passer-by is NOT a real word according to - and this is the best part - FREAKING WIKTIONARY. Sure, a real dictionary isn't right (the one on my computer is some American Oxford dictionary or something) but Wiktionary must be, considering the entire site is compiled by morons with too much time on their hands.
  5. So I got cranky and then yelled a bit, then looked up Oxford Online and lo and behold, passer-by is the only recognised form of the word. HOW DO YOU LIKE MY SPELL CHECKING SKILLZ NOW HUH.

And the most stupid part? According to Wiktionary, passer-by IS a word, and passerby is only an alternative spelling of it. What. the. fuck. Seriously.

No comments: